Thursday 11 February 2010

I'm back!

Well, I've been rather neglectful of this site for some time, so I should really get back to activating it. A lot of things have happened professionally and socially since my last posting, but I would be here for ages if I were to list them all. And of course all this waffling on about the past probably is irrelevant to the here and now.

Anyway, I'm back - and in more ways than one. I've just had a very successful Expolangues www.expolangues.fr having once more represented the home country in France - this time for the 8th time in all. I did nothing but speak French and Welsh (a little English too) for the last week or so in Paris and was delighted to have 9 students in my annual lesson. Networking seemed to go very well too with the red dragon flag on my back always eliciting a good response and the inevitable questions. In fact, y ddraig goch was even seen on the boulevards and avenues of the French capital and au Metro prompting some to identify me as Bulgarian! Obviously much needs still to be done by the Embassy to educate these people.

Old friends were also met and both Miri and I were wined and dined and generally well conversed with - although she only joined me on the Saturday and we came back on the Sunday.

Lo and behold on my return I saw that I had lost the oportunity to translate a piece into Welsh and proofread another translator's Welsh translation. Yet, all is not lost as another translation quickly followed and next week promises to be even busier. Crossed fingers that some of the Expolangues contacts will come up trumps with other projects - more info. when things become more certain.

Things are definitely warming up politically too at home. A new First Minister, a vote enabling the National Assembly to seek a date for a Referendum on transfering yet more powers from Westminster to Cardiff, and new legislation from the National Assembly itself to provide more rights for Welsh language users and for mental patients. What with a UK General Election due sometime before the beginning of May, we are living in very interesting times.

In the meantime, dear readers (hopefully you are in the plural), I promise to be a bit more faithful to this blog from now on and keep you informed in your chosen language of events both personal and of a national (i.e. Welsh) important.

No comments:

Post a Comment